Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Fit Beast Feasts: Strawberry Chia Jam

I always make poor decisions around this time of year.  I seem to find the gold mine of amazing tasting strawberries at the grocery store and my eyes suddenly become far bigger than my stomach AND the produce shelf-life.

In years past, I would take my abundance and turn it into the best tasting, chunky, sweetened strawberry freezer jam.  It became so much of a tradition and "thing" of mine that I even bought a deep freezer for my garage so I didn't dominate the small kitchen freezer.  Kerr jar after Kerr jar would be filled to the brim.  Kerr jar after Kerr jar would be gifted to friends, family, and co-workers.

Bread would be baked, buttered, topped, and consumed.  In seconds.

Ice cream would be adorned.

Dad would put it on his morning Cheerios.

I'd eat it right out of the container with no other vessel than a spoon or, heaven forbid, a finger.

I'm sorry.  I won't be humble about it.  I made a mighty fine strawberry jam.

But that was years ago.  I hardly remember what it was like.  But I had a little walk down memory lane the other day when I tried my hand at a far healthier alternative.  And I won't be humble about it. I've made a mighty fine strawberry jam.

If you've committed a produce sin, like I do, and have bought too many strawberries and you fear they might spoil, don't worry, you don't many.

In a container, add slide or chopped strawberries and mash them with either a form or an immersion blender.  You'll need only one cup of berries.

To the berries, add 1 Tablespoon of organic chia seeds.  I prefer the Health Warrior Brand.  They are extremely picky about the quality of their chia seeds and I have MAD respect for their company.

Stir in 1 Tablespoon of water and, depending on the sweetness of the berries, add a small pinch of stevia.  Stir well and break up any chia seed clumps.

Store in a covered container and allow to set for approximately 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.

Serve on toast, ice cream, your morning Cheerios, on a spoon, or, heaven forbid, a finger.

Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment