Monday, January 5, 2015

Say "No" to "Can't"


Let me guess.  You made a resolution or goal to lose weight in this new year, didn't you?  You made a resolution or goal to eat better, didn't you?  That's AWESOME.  I think that's amazing and I wish you all the success in the world.  But the odds are kind of against you.

According to one report that I read, the number one resolution in 2014 was to lose weight.  Statistically speaking, only 45% of Americans make resolutions, and an even smaller percentage are successful in their resolution.  Guess that percentage.  20%? 15%?  10%?  Nope, none of those.  8%.  Can you believe it?  It shocked me!  I don't want you to be part of the 92% who...well, fail.  So I'm going to teach you something to help you when it comes to losing weight through eating better:  "I DON'T".

When I first started focusing on my own nutrition, I found distractions and temptations everywhere.  Co-workers would bring in treats.  Dinners out with friends.  Holiday treats and goodies.  It was so hard!!!

People would tell me to just have one, have just a bite, to cheat a little because I'd worked so hard, and even that I "deserved" it.  My response was always the same, "I can't eat that."

It hit me, one day, how self-defeating that kind of talk was.  It left me powerless, as if the decision to eat clean had taken away my ability to choose for myself.  And I heard, far too many times from one person, that I could eat it if I wanted to.  So, instead of getting irritated by those offering me foods that weren't good for me and rather than becoming irate at the "Yes, you can eat that." response, I took the power back into my own hands.  Instead of saying "I can't eat that.", I started saying "I don't eat that."  And do you know what happened?  I didn't feel so deprived because I wasn't eating the brownies, caramel corn, doughnuts, or monthly birthday cakes.

Be successful in your new resolutions and goals.  Reinforce the good behavior through positive affirmations instead of restricting and limiting behavior.

Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

2 comments:

  1. Love this motivation! And I SO agree. The word "I Can't" is a negatively powerful word, and most don't realize it. I'm definitely going to make an effort to not say anymore. :)

    - StyledByBlondie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so happy to hear Hayley. We often take for granted our own power and give up to self defeat without knowing it. I'm so glad at least one more person is empowered to ditch "can't". Thanks so much for the comment. NOBODY ever comments on here! But Imma keep on posting anyway!

      Delete