Friday, October 24, 2014

It's Friday, I'm In Love: Elli Quark



Quark.  No, not cork.  Quark.  It's so good, and good for you!  I've heard it referred to as curd cheese, cottage cheese, or sometimes farmer cheese, but trust me, these aren't the same thing.

Quark, pronounced "kvark" is a type of fresh dairy product common for the cuisines of German-speaking countries, northern Europe, the Netherlands, Hungary, Israel, etc.....  It's also widely consumed here in Utah, specifically in my apartment, office, and car.

It's made by warming soured milk until its milk protein is coagulated.  It's then strained and classified as fresh acid-set cheese, though some countries consider it a distinct fermented milk product.  It is soft, white, unaged, and usually has no salt added.  It has a creamy texture that is extremely similar to Greek yogurt but with a richer and less sour taste.

Quark can be used in recipes that are both sweet and/or savory because it adapts well to most flavors.  In fact, my favorite flavors with quark are lemon, pineapple, red velvet, strawberry, and spinach.  Wait, spinach?  Yes, I said spinach.  I'll get into that later, but first I want to tell you about my favorite brand: Elli.

No, they are not paying me in any way shape or form for this post.  I'm writing about them because, honestly, their product is amazing.  They're also one of the ONLY companies I've found here in the states to produce this mostly European based product.  Another thing that I love about Elli is that they actually are seeking to educate consumers about their product instead of wooing them over with trends.  For example, did you know that Elli's quark has about half the calories of Greek yogurt, no added sodium, no added salt, and it boasts two times the protein of Greek yogurt?  Now you do!


Quark isn't just good for your belly, but it's also great for your skin!

But back to that spinach flavor.  No, it's not a flavor that they produce.  I just love mixing in a few little extra touches to some original quark and slathering it over some fresh pasta and spinach.  I'll post the recipe later this week and trust me, you're definitely going to want to pick up some quark on your next grocery shopping trip so you can make this tasty dish.

So the crucial part of the post.  Where do you find Elli quark?  I'm glad you asked.  You can find it HERE!  Use their nifty store locator to find a store near you!  Also be sure to follow them on Instagram to see how to creatively use your new favorite soft cheese in loads of recipes!!!

Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment