Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Fit Beast Feasts: 3-Ingredient Mashed Fauxtatoes

I know, mashed cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes is nothing new.  I'm a little behind on what's popular with the kids now.  Gosh!

No, really though, I've had them countless times and every recipe I try is always different and calls for more ingredients than I feel like using.  Seriously, downsize from a 3 bedroom townhouse with a huge kitchen and dishwasher to a 650 square foot apartment WITHOUT a dishwasher and you'll want all of your recipes to be simple and with as few ingredients and bowls to wash as possible.

Anyway, this is my new favorite side dish, though, let's be honest, I could eat the whole darn thing in one sitting.  I consider myself kind of an expert when it comes to mashed potatoes, after all, I did go to college in Idaho, potato capital of the world.  So trust me when I tell you how awesomely flavorful these are.  Oh, and they won't leave you feeling as full and heavy as buttery, creamy, mashed potatoes.  Mmmmmm.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Cut off the top of an entire glorious nugget of garlic and place it cut side up on a foil lined baking sheet.  Drizzle the garlic with olive oil and wrap up, snugly, in the foil.  Let roast for 25-30 minutes.

While your garlic is roasting, wash a full head of cauliflower and cut off all green leaves.  I cut my cauliflower into quarters and then cut them down to big hearty florets.  Put them in a heavy pot full of water and bring to a boil for 8 minutes.  Drain your florets and let dry on paper towels.

After your garlic has roasted and slightly cooled, remove every single garlic clove.  Yes, you are going to use an entire head of garlic.  Is that what they're called?  Heads?

Combine your cauliflower and garlic cloves, along with 1/3 cup of unsweetened and unflavored almond milk.  Seriously, don't buy sweetened almond milk.  Why add more sugar to your diet?  You don't need it!!!  Okay, back on track.  If you have a smaller food processor do this in batches, but put in a little pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper, and pulse until it resembles mashed potatoes.

Resist the urge to eat them all at once.  I have to.  Seriously.  Oh, and a little tip:  if you happen to have extra that you need to store in the refrigerator and later reheat, do NOT zap them in the microwave.  All of the moisture will be sucked right up and you'll be left with something not that great.  I prefer warming mine up in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.

Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

1 comment: