Monday, July 21, 2014

Cake Batter Protein Energy Bars

To anyone who's been in my apartment, my love for my protein powder tubs is obvious.  I probably have 11 of them stacked above my kitchen cabinets and my new favorite brand, Cellucor, is leading the pack with the most containers.  Besides the amazing benefits of supplementing your diet with protein powders, another reason I love them is for the multiple recipe options!   Pancakes.  Waffles.  Bread.  Brownies.  Flavoring for my morning oats.  But here's my new favorite:  energy bars.

As a kid, I had one snack that I hardly ever made but often coveted:  peanut butter balls.  I remember they had powdered milk, peanut butter, and lots of sugar.  They were so good, especially if you put them in the freezer, for a summer snack.  Since I've lost my childhood metabolism and have gained an education and awareness of my own nutrition, I'm a fan of this alternative.

photo credits ::here::

In a small bowl, combine the following and mix well:
1 cup rice krispy cereal
1/4 cup oat flour (you can make your own by putting oats in your blender)
1/4 cup Cellucor Cor-Fetti Cake Batter Whey (read to the bottom of the post for a discount code)
1/4 teaspoon salt

In another bowl, combine and whisk together:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 teaspoons agave or honey
3 tablespoons peanut butter or your favorite nut butter

Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl, and mix well.  If it looks like your mixture is too wet, add some more cereal.

Line a flat bottomed baking pan or Tupperware container with plastic wrap or wax paper. You'll want to make sure you have enough to cover both the bottom and the top of the peanut butter mixture.  Put all of the mixture in the container, smooth out to create a flat surface, and cover with remaining plastic wrap or wax paper.  Use your hands to press down on the covered mixture to create a more compressed bar.

Let mixture chill and set in the refrigerator, covered, for an hour.  I like to cut mine into individual servings, wrap in plastic wrap, and leave in my produce drawer for easy access/munching.

If you're looking to expand your selection of protein powders, or other supplements for that matter, go over to cellucor.com and be sure to use code "NORDMAN" when you are checking out.  Not only will you get 20% off your order...that's right...20% off...but free shipping courtesy of my amazing fit chick friend Ashley Nordman.

Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment